Profiling with IntelliJ IDEA 11

As always, we try to provide an IntelliJ IDEA plugin immediately when a new major version of IDEA is released.

Most of the time, a release of IDEA does not coincide with a JProfiler release, so we release the plugin separately in the plugin manager. To install the JProfiler plugin in IDEA (both community and ultimate editions), click on “Browse repositories” in the plugin manager and look for “JProfiler”.

The plugin will be bundled in the upcoming JProfiler 7.1 release.

Update (2012-01-16): By mistake, the plugin version (different from the JProfiler version) decreased from 10.3 to 10.2, so many update problems were caused by this. Now the plugin version has been increased to 11.0 and the update should work if you had 10.2 or 10.3 installed previously.

opus111

Hi I also am having trouble. The plugin is listed as "bundled" but is colored red.

Installing IDE support from the JProfiler only lists version X of IntelliJ. I claims to succeed, but seems to have no effect.

Hope it gets fixed soon because JProfiler and IntelliJ rock together 😀

Hannes Kegel

You would have to download the plugin from the repository. The current release of JProfiler doesn't contain the IDEA 11 plugin yet.

The text on right should be "From repository". If you still have problems with the downloaded plugin, please contact support.

opus111

Hi again,

I am running on a Mac.

From within IntelliJ, the JProfiler plugin is marked as "bundled" and can not be uninstalled. There is no plugin directory in my Applications folder where the IntelliJ executable is located.

I deleted and reinstalled IntelliJ 11. Now the JProfiler "bundled" plugin is gone.

I browsed the available plugins, and clicked on JProfiler. It became green, was labelled "downloaded", and "will activate at next startup"

But after a restart the plugin is still marked green, labelled "downloaded", and "will activate at next startup"

Any ideas?

Thanks
    P

Spyder

I'm having the same problem as opus111. I haven't deleted IntelliJ, but I do know how to go in and delete idea10-jprofiler.jar (as well as jprofiler.properties) to remove the old plugin. How did you solve it for opus111?

Hannes Kegel

It seems to have succeeded by deleting

$HOME/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11
    $HOME/Library/Caches/IdeaIC11
    $HOME/Library/Logs/IdeaIC11
    $HOME/Library/Preferences/IdeaIC11

or the appropriate ultimate edition directories.

If you don't want to lose your settings, I would start with

$HOME/Library/Caches/IdeaIC11
    and
    $HOME/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11

The text on right in the plugin list should be always "From repository".

If that doesn't help, please contact support@ej-technologies.com.

Spyder

I didn't want to delete my preferences, but after deleting the other 3 and even the app itself the entry was still there.

Grep found the offending entry in ~/Library/Preferences/IdeaIC11/options/plugin_ui.xml 🙂

I wound up just deleting that file as wiping out Application Support also deleted the other plugins I had installed.

If the plugin should always be installed from the repository, why does JProfiler's integration install it as a bundled plugin?

Hannes Kegel

Hello,

good to hear that it works like this.

The problem is that you installed the IDEA 10 plugin into an IDEA 11 installation. Previous plugin versions usually don't work with newer IDEA versions.

The plugin will be bundled in the upcoming JProfiler 7.1 release.

Also, previous IDEA versions had no problem replacing wrong plugin versions with plugins from the repository. This is new in IDEA 11. If this continues to be a problem, we will add a version detection to prevent users from installing the wrong plugin version.

Best regards,
    Hannes Kegel
    ej-technologies GmbH

Anonymous

I read this thread but am still confused. Does the current version of JProfiler integrate with IntelliJ or not? If so, what are the instructions? Otherwise, is there an expected release date for support?

Thanks!

Hannes Kegel

Hi,
    IDEA 11 is supported by the JProfiler plugin from the repository. Just follow the instructions from the original blog entry, then everything should work as expected.

The comments here only apply for the situation that you have previously integrated the bundled IDEA 10 plugin into IDEA 11 by mistake.

Best regards,
    Hannes Kegel
    ej-technologies GmbH

Spyder

ah, I didn't realise IntelliJ supported replacing bundled plugins with repository plugins. Seems like useful behaviour, maybe it no longer working is a bug 🙂

Showing 1 to 5 out of 13 comments.